My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai, India

Truth.Lies.Poetry.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Lately

Haven’t been reading much these days. And when I do, I keep re-reading old favourites. Just one of those phases I hope to get over soon. This however hasn’t stopped me from buying new books.

1. What is the total number of books you've owned?
About 300 – 400

2.What are the last books you bought?
Shalimar The Clown – Salman Rushdie
Shantaram – Gregory David Roberts
Kite Runner – Khalid Hosseini
Falling off the map – Pico Iyer (for the second time)

3. What is the last book you've read?
Kite Runner - On the whole an interesting read, even though the pace did falter a bit in the middle.

4. What are you currently reading?
Shantaram – Rather unsuccessfully I might add. It's taking forever.

5. What are the 5 books that have meant a lot to you or that you particularly enjoyed?
ANYTHING by P.G Wodehouse
He has to be my favourite writer. Can’t choose between any of his books, but I particularly loved his ‘ The GoldBat and other school stories’. School days, cricket and Wodehouse, what a delightful combination.

SOPHIE'S CHOICE by William Styron
Heartbreaking, beautiful. Vivid, disturbing and emotionally draining.

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee
Atticus Finch and Scout. This father and daughter relationship was so beautifully portrayed. Remember the line - You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view, until you climb into his skin and walk around in it?

JO’s BOYS - Louisa M. Alcott
Shoefiend - Me too, me too. Loved the entire series.

COLLECTED POEMS of Emily Dickinson
Given to me by a dear friend years and years ago. Re-read ever so often and deeply cherished. Emily Dickinson is one of my favourite poets.

ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT by Erich Maria Remarque
Found this incredibly well-written and moving. My father being in the army had probably something to do with my fascination for books on war.

BOUND BOOKS by Various Comics
This is not really a real book but Tinkles, Amar Chitra Khatas and other assorted comics all bound together thickly. I remember they were all labelled Bound Book 1, Bound book 2, Bound Book 3 etc - you get the picture- so they wouldn’t get torn or lost. Several transfers and some over- enthusiastic-lending-to-cute boys later, sadly not a single bound book remains.

6. What book(s) would you wish to buy next?
Nothing as of now. Have lots of catching up to do.

7. What book(s) caught your attention but you never had a chance to read?
Refer question 2. Or maybe - Premchand ke sampoorna kahaniyan

8. What book(s) that you've owned for so long but never read?
Too many to list by Shamefaced me.

9. Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?
Anyone who wants to take this on!

14 Comments:

Blogger Falstaff said...

Ah, Sophie's Choice. Lovely.

btw, presumably you mean Dickinson, not Dickenson. Nice try, but if you really want to include Uncle Charlie you're going to have to put him in separately.

12:41 PM  
Blogger kaaju katli said...

Falstaff - :) Meant Dickinson of course! Stand corrected.

12:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shantaram IS a pretty long book, eh? I thought it could easily have been cut down by a half - it was so much a repetition of long philosophical conversations with the worst mafia dons, prison-oriented violence and some random generalisations... not a BAD read, but just a bit overrated, methinks!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Meera said...

The GoldBat and other school stories is somewhere on top of my Wodehouse fav list. Yum. :)

4:28 PM  
Blogger Parul Gahlot said...

have you read John Irving's The World According to Garp? If not do read it! and now my selfish reason- come by and read my poem soon!

1:51 PM  
Blogger Mukund said...

anything by Wodehouse would always be on top of my list too! To kill a mocking bird is another one of my favourites!

11:51 PM  
Blogger Houseowner said...

amazing how much i agree with you here.
i've bought the same books, except pico iyer. and that was sometime ago, but i guess your post is old too?
yeah, shantaram is laborious to get through.
sophie's choice is among my fave books and wodehouse, that genre would automatically gain precedence over whatever else i have to read! :)

1:05 PM  
Blogger Ar Ar Ar Arrrrr said...

TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee
Have uploaded this novel on ma PDA for quite sometime, but Im lazy enough to start reading it :(

If you eva get time, do put ur hands on "Tuesdays with MOrrie", you surely gonna enjoy reading it...

Nice post :)

Greetz!!

11:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please write more. It heals.

12:29 AM  
Blogger Deliciously Alive said...

Oooooohhhh! I love book quizzes! Am borrowing this for my blog! :0) Do drop in for a read sometime! :)))

Slainte!
M!;)

6:25 PM  
Blogger kaaju katli said...

Thanks everyone :)

Parul, will come over and check poem right away. Yes, have read World According To Garp.

And quicksilver, of course. Run away with it!

Shyam, I finally speed-read the book. Seriously over-rated.

Meera, One, Mukund: :-)

Arz00n: Thanks for dropping by. I have successfully avoided reading Tuesdays with M for a while now. I usually steer clear what I believe would be too soppy or self-helpy if you know what I mean. Maybe I'll give it a shot some day.

Anon: Thanks.

Thanks everyone for dropping by. Sorry for replying so late to your comments. Do come back, hopefully I have something up soon!

12:11 PM  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

kaaju....

[a pantoum]

Looking for word of the westward bird
on the seaboard side she settled
trains or planes? I haven't heard
I hope her tea's well kettled

on the seaboard side she settled
presumably for employment
I hope her tea's well kettled
& her humor brings enjoyment

presumably for employment
dogs having barked -- or have cats purred?
since her humor brings enjoyment
I'm looking for word of the westward bird

:-)
d.i.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

isn't it time for a new entry?

specially considering your entry into the big bad city?

today's word verification:
gssggpbj - gate sentry sees good guys pass by, judged

3:05 PM  
Blogger david raphael israel said...

elsewise stated . . .

if the returned clavicle
  doesn't return quite soon
the shoulder & arm
  will likely start to fight
the neck & ribs
  will likewise offer quite
a fierce debate
  beneath the lonesome moon
the dish might
  run away without the spoon
if the returned clavicle
  doesn't return quite soon

;-)
d.i.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.