My Photo
Name:
Location: Mumbai, India

Truth.Lies.Poetry.

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Play

Yellow dhotis, caps
sweaters, robes
jostle for space on
the ghats.
One hundred and two
sunset priestlings
(can I call them that?)
offer Aarti to the
flowing ganges; they
chant loudly, noisily,
sometimes in and
mostly a little off-
tune.

Saffron marigold
petals float alongside
wishes; temple bells
dance to the sound of
prayers; the unstill river
stills my mind.

Twilight blurs my
vision and then
unexpectedly tears too,
as I catch him
surreptitiously cheekily
unraveling wool from
his neighbour’s
sweater; forgetting
(in those moments)
to chant.


He may well be a priest, yes,
I think, as I watched him play

unguarded.
But isn’t he really
really, just a little
boy?





Travellete 3 - Haridwar, On the banks of the river Ganga, Nov 2005.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow.

never thought of visiting haridwar. seemed too crowded. but it seems that it might be worth it after all.

enlightenment through your travelettes?

danke

7:42 PM  
Blogger Shammi said...

You paint word pictures that i can see in my head (and feel in my heart) :)

9:26 PM  
Blogger The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

If I haven't already told you - I think you should publish your poems as a book. They're wonderful.

the unstill river
stills my mind.

Lovely

10:26 PM  
Blogger Parul Gahlot said...

I was in Haridwar just a week ago...

8:13 PM  
Blogger karma said...

Beautiful as usual :-)

3:39 AM  
Blogger heretic said...

You paint a picture beyond my eyes but well within the reach of the soul. Lovely words, really. :-)

6:10 PM  
Blogger Innocent Bullet said...

You've got allround applause for this one. It is a wonderful poem and few phrases, imageries cling to my thoughts as I write. But I believe 'Measure' and 'Price' had more flow in them, especially 'Measure'. I still think there are edges you can smoothen here. :-)

9:48 AM  
Blogger Manasi said...

A fine example of visual imagery.
:)

12:23 AM  
Blogger Anindita Sengupta said...

Came back again to read this one. It's very memorable. Cheers :).

1:33 PM  
Blogger Nessa said...

KK, I came back to read it too.. And this is the fourth time, 'coz I've realised something just right now: your words have such an effect on me, that I just keep reading this poem over and over again, although I've not understood it..

*mixed emotions.. dunno whether to blush or frown*

P.S. I dunno anything about temples and priests..

11:27 AM  
Blogger kaaju katli said...

Thank you all :-)

10:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very beautiful, brought back the image to me .. like everyone has said here and like I was tell you -- yur words haunt a reader, you have that effect ...

awesome, wonderful, beautiful
Vaish

11:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.